Friday, September 25, 2015

Burr Oak Dried Leaves with Shaggy Base Acorns - Haganstone Park, Pleasant Garden NC

Yesterday at our NC Unit Herb Society Meeting for Herb Study one of the gals brought a burr oak branch with a different kind of acorns and leaf structure.  She had found it on Sat. near a dump site where she was camping.   This burr oak is a member of the beech family and some cultivars can have leaves that are not lobed but look more like smaller beach leaves with the serrated edges.  I borrowed the branch from her so I could take a picture.  It had dried leaves and they were not portrait material.  I put  the branch on a black shirt background.and tried to arrange so you could see the leaves, the tops of the acorns with shaggy base and then 2 additional acorns I placed in the "nutcups" to see that view.   I did not use the original image and it was downsized.  Therefore, you can see some pixelization.  In post processing using PSE11 I had to do some major cloning of the leaves with insect bites or ???. I may have to go to Haganstone Park in Pleasant Garden to see if I can capture some other images with fresh leaves and acorns still adhered to the base. Did you know that at one time acorns were a souce of food for the American Indians and Pioneers?    

No comments:

Post a Comment