Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Yellow Spotted Salamander. "Shadow"

When the Dawson's came to visit for a week, they could not find a baby sitter for their salamander whose name is "Shadow". He is a yellow spotted salamander. Logan brought him in an aquarium. It is Logan's pet and he had his own ideas about where I could take the image, i.e. no bright lights or going outdoors as an option.  I would have preferred an image with him holding the salamander in his hand but I did not have a plain backdrop option. If I had tried that poise, then I might have gotten to get the salamander's face and eyes but not much of his body as Logan would have been holding in his hand. It could have also been a problem with movement of the hand or the salamander's head, leg, tail, etc. I decided to try a still life but the salamander's eyes were not facing me.
I put the salamander on a red towel on the bathroom sink.  Definitely need more practice taking critter pictures. I did sign up for a workshop (if I get to go to Photofest in Sept.) about taking those kind of images.  I changed the midtones, increased saturation and tried to decrease red hue to yellow spots and sharpened slightly in PSE 11.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment